Thursday, April 21, 2011

Where am I?

So obviously been falling down on my self-imposed comic recapping job. It was easy to do when I had a scheduled time for it, less easy when my schedule changed and life stuff happened and I just didn't reschedule. Now I've had a bunch of stuff added to my plate of late and just haven't had time free when I was feeling like I could take on a project that required some thought and creativity. No comments about limited amount of creativity and thought that might actually appear to be in the recaps; the point is it takes some effort on my part and I've been not in the zone.

Lame excuse, but there you go. Maybe in the coming weeks I'll be back to it. I seem to have a 2-hour break whilst in the middle of nowhere (in relation to my home) on TTh now that may give me an in again to the blog. So we'll see how that goes.

Funny to talk as though I have readers. I know I don't, but that's the blog convention, to pretend you have an audience, and an audience that cares.

Lately been watching the Killing. Awesome Seattle noir mystery set inside a Vermeer painting. Totally geeking out over how beautifully it's shot. Almost don't care about the story or the mystery or the characters. It's just so pretty. Maybe I'm finally developing more of an eye for TV/Film visuals. That stuff used to just fly by me, but now I take the time to pay more attention. It's very interesting.

Also watching the Good Wife, which has more nuanced characters than most legal procedurals I've seen. Got through season 1 and moving on. Haven't seen Game of Thrones yet.

I watched Winter's Bone and Kick-Ass at home recently, found both enjoyable. Watched Rango and Super in the theaters and enjoyed them as well. Read all of Watchmen finally. Absolutely brilliant. Guess I'll have to see what they did with the movie at some point. Reminds me I want to see Sucker Punch for myself and see on which side of the divide I fall. Also hearing great things about Hanna. And want to see Scream 4 'cause I loved those movies. Yes, even the third one.

Finishing up the Shield with my viewing friend this week. That's been a fun ride. I think we'll probably move on to Spartacus next.

Been listening to a lot of podcasts: Gobbledygeek, NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour, Slate's Gabfest, Hellmouth & Investigating Angel podcasts, Nerdist, WTF with Mark Maron being in the highest rotation. Also Potentialcast, but I'm up and down with that one. I think they do a great job, and often it's fun to listen, but the tone is pretty well established to be snarky, MST3K-style and I just don't like hearing all Buffy episodes subjected to that. That's why I can't read TWOP Buffy recaps; I actually like (read freakin' adore) the show and it pains me to hear every aspect of it made fun of. Snark where appropriate is vastly different from make fun of everything even when they enjoyed the episode. Just not my thing.

I found myself, while rewatching Amends for example, thinking about how awful they're going to treat that episode, and it makes me sad and overly defensive. So I have to take a deep breath and move on from them sometimes. Bryan Curry is a great antidote because he talks about what he likes as well as what he doesn't, as well as tackling bigger themes that the potentials couldn't cover just because they haven't seen the whole show.

And that's about it for my entertainment food lately. As always, enjoying io9. And also Brain Pickings. Noel Murray (AV Club) on Fringe and Buffy. Jacob Clifton (TWOP) on anything anytime. Don't know why I turned this entry into a few of my (current) favorite things, but it is what it is.

Gotta head back into the breach now. Later

No comments: